A bridge worker stands atop the north (Marin) tower, September, 1935. The footbridge ropes seen here were soon replaced by catwalks, used to transport workers and materials. Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge commenced on January 5, 1933 and lasted four and a half years, at a cost of over 35 million dollars. The landmark structure is one of the largest suspension bridges in the world. Connecting Marin County and the peninsula of San Francisco, the bridge spans the entrance to the Golden Gate. This image is from a collection of nearly 100 period photographs documenting the bridge’s complex and often dangerous construction process. These photographs were commissioned by the Associated Oil Company and taken by photographer Charles M. Hiller between 1933 and 1936.